If you know me at all, you know I am not really one for a boxed or canned anything. Baking and cooking is a stress reliever for me. I mean there is nothing better than the satisfaction of baking something and seeing – and hearing – people enjoy those baked goodies! Especially when they are made from scratch.
But sometimes you just NEED a simple dessert. Maybe you have unexpected company coming over, or you got invited so something where you need to bring a dessert and don’t have much time, or if you are like us, sometimes there is NEVER enough time. Or maybe you just want something yummy and simple.
The fact that this is baked in the crockpot is probably one of my most favorite things about it, besides the fact that it is melt-in-your-mouth delicious!
A friend of mine told me about doing something very similar with a different kind of cake, so, I thought I would try it out with apples. She had done it with cherry pie filling and a butter cake (pretty sure that will be next on my list, because YUM).
Since FALL is my favorite season and we are playing some board games by the fire tonight – No, it is not cold enough really for a fire, but I am just nuts and need one for nostalgic reasons, don’t judge me. – I thought this might go really good with a big pot of Pumpkin Spice Latte’s!
- 1 box of Spice Cake Mix (Can be any brand, or even a different kind, use what you have on hand)
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 can of apple pie filling (20-21 oz can, roughly, doesn't have to be specific)
- 3 Tblsp Cinnamon (more or less to taste)
- Pour the can of apple pie filling into the bottom of the crockpot and spread evenly.
- Sprinkly the cinnamon over the apples evenly.
- Melt the butter in a microwavable bowl.
- Mix the cake mix into the butter with a fork. Continue to mix until it turns into a crumble. Use the fork to break it up into smaller chunky pieces (imagine cobbler).
- Pour the Mix over the apples in the crockpot and spread evenly.
- Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours or low for about 4 hours.
- Open, serve with ice cream or whipped cream and enjoy!
Do you have a favorite “go to” easy dessert recipe that you make for friends or family? I would love for you to share it with me! I am always looking for new dessert recipes to try out. I love food – who doesn’t, right? – but dessert is definitely my favorite!